Most clubs are involved in youth programs throughout the year from helping at a youth event to teaching bicycle safety to cleaning gardens.
August is a time to host a project that engages youth in your community. It's not too late to sponsor a Peace Poster contest or organize a new Leo Club or just invite youth to serve alongside you in a hands-on project. The Juneau Mendenhall Flying Lions club offers free coffee and pastries as parade participants wait in the staging area. The Boy Scouts take the thermos of coffee and pastries around to them.
Here's some more ideas:
- Organize a youth forum to highlight topics that youth have identified as critical community issues.
- Designate a portion of club funds to be used for youth-led service projects.
- Implement the Youth Camp & Exchange Program in your district.
- Establish a mentor project with tech-savvy youth to teach older adults technology skills.
- Organize a job fair to help young people identify their career goals.